The renovation of the 1956 Municipal Building Annex encompassed 106,000 s.f. of building area from the first through fifth floors, an underground parking garage and utility sub-basement. In anticipation of the establishment of the University of North Texas’ new law school in the adjacent 1914 Beaux Arts Municipal Building, all functions that were residing among both buildings have been combined into the five-story Annex. These now include twelve courtrooms, public transaction functions, exhibit space, city attorney and court support offices, and law enforcement wait space.
At various stages of design, the architects and City consulted and sought approval from the Texas Historical Commission and the Dallas Landmark Commission. Historically significant spaces, such as the Main Street entry lobby, public transaction counters, original City Council Chambers, and lower level corridors were preserved to retain the marble, travertine and blond hardwood look of Mid-Century 1950’s courthouse architecture.