A First Glimpse of the Dallas Municipal Courts’ Renovations

After seeing our project mentioned in an article on Robert Wilonsky’s Blog (UnFair Park) in the Dallas Observer, (click here to read article), we decided it was time to do a little feature on it ourselves!
Computer Rendering of New Lobby and Information Desk
With a complete renovation designed by GSR Andrade Architects and exterior envelope stabilization by The Conley Group, the Dallas Municipal Courts will relocate into the historic 1956 City Hall Annex, most notable as the site where Jack Ruby fatally shot Lee Harvey Oswald on November 24, 1963.  




4th Floor Hallway

 

Courtroom

 

In anticipation of the establishment of the University of North Texas’s new law school in the adjacent 1914 Beaux Arts City Hall, all functions currently residing among both buildings will be combined into the five-story Annex.  These include twelve courtrooms, public transaction counters, exhibit space, City Attorney and court support offices, and law enforcement wait space. 
At various stages, the design team consulted and sought approval from the Texas Historical Commission and the Dallas Landmark Commission to preserve historically significant spaces, such as the Main Street entry lobby, public transaction counters (for exhibition) and original City Council Chambers (for jury assembly).  Although historic preservation prevents the replacement of the building’s single-pane glazing, all new HVAC systems, as well as daylighting and extensive light controls, will vastly improve the energy efficiency.  Construction is scheduled for completion in late 2012.

Leave a Reply